From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:47:57 -0500
I know why I'm not supposed to like it.  The critics hate it and audiences
love it.  There's everything but the kitchen sink in it.  It's mostly
in a language that nobody speaks.  The composer has apparently never
heard of subtlety.  He had political problems of the worst kind --
deserved and self-inflicted.

But when a performance of Carmina Burana comes together -- like it did
last night at the Kennedy Center, with Leonard Slatkin conducting the
Washington Choral Arts Society chorus and orchestra -- there is no denying
the attraction of this totally over-the-top extravaganza.  Catchy tune
after catchy tune, a variety of soundscapes, solo opportunities, pathos,
drama -- make that melodrama -- and the occasional bit of humor all
combine to make this a head-shaking one of a kind spectacular.

This was the first time I had heard any of Carmina besides the famous
opening (and concluding) theme, the sound track to countless commercials
and voiceovers.  It's not a piece I'll be going back to often; after
all, I'm not sure my sound system is up to it.  But I was glad to have
finally heard the thing.  Leonard Slatkin was completely into it and the
Kennedy Center Concert Hall was sold out.  The people loved it -- again.

Mitch Friedfeld