From:
Ray Osnato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:59:13 -0400
Robert Stumpf asks about recordings of Schumann Symphonies.

Of complete sets I own Kubelik, both BPO & BRSO, and like them very much.
Bernstein's readings with the VPO are available in DG two-fer and at
such a price are mighty fine.  Not as indulgent as one would expect and
the Vienna band plays flawlessly.  Klemperer's set is most notable for
Symphonies 1 and 4 with two and three somewhat less successful.  Celibidache
also had a way with Schumann but, alas and alack, there is no complete
cycle readily available.  I have assembled my own from various sources.
A deadly dull One with the Stuttgart Radio band is the only disappointment.
His 2nd with the LSO is among my very favorite readings of the work and
the Munich 3 & 4 are impressive too.  I could make you dubs, Bob, if you
like, contact me off list.  People said good things bout the Muti set
but I didn't warm to it very much and it now resides happily at my local
used CD shop.

Since I know you to be the inquisitive type, you may wish to investigate
the Ceccato set on BIS which features the Mahler retuchens of the
symphonies.  They are good, serviceable readings and are a little piece
of history to boot.

Of individual recordings I like Eschenbach's 2nd with the Houston Symphony,
Giulini's Third - the EMI with the Philharmonia is preferable to the LA
Phil on DG.  The DG also employs the Mahler edition of the score though
I don'tthink it is billed as such.  It was a prominent selling feature
on the EMI.  In the underground is a wonderful VPO Giulini concert which
was Mozart 40 and Schumann 3, both in the Mahler versions (according to
my ears) with Das Lied von der Erde closing the program.  The Bruno
Walter third is another I return to often and, of course, you already
have the Furtwangler Fourth.

Sorry to run on so long, but you did make the mistake of asking for
opinions.  Ask for facts next time.  I assure you, I have far, far
fewer of those than I have opinions.

Ray Osnato