ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elton K Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:24:58 -0500

Hi.

 I was wondering if I could get input on something from the group. We are
currently setting up a general purpose computer lab at my museum and due to
budgetary issues, it has to be done a lot faster than I would like. It will
consist of about 12 "student's" stations and be used for both structured
classes and open come and go ("how do I do...")  type events.  These are set
to range from grade school to adult age groups. The classes will be fairly
short.

My question is; does anyone else have something similar running? I would
like to get input on software and/or types of classes that work in this kind
of setting. As a start, the computers will have Windows XP Pro and Microsoft
Office. They will have basic image editing and probably video editing
software. Nothing professional quality, but enough for the kids to "make
your own movie" and take the disk home. What else would you recommend? Open
source would be best but is not a requirement.

Thanks for your help

Elton K Prater

Exhibit Director                         [log in to unmask]

Science Spectrum                                 806-745-1216

2579 S Loop 289                       Fax       806-745-1115

Lubbock, TX 79423