ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:18:09 -0700

My Dear Buddy Wayne,

I've got to hand it to you. You have managed to start a conversation
that has razed (or is it 'raised?') enough hackles to even get me
finally involved in this quirky discussion.

You have to give some kudos to any design firm that could pull this off
so convincingly (if they have). How clever they must be. Magicians
surely. Houdinis with a pencil! The next time I'm involved with an
information based exhibit on the 'quantum atom' I want these guys around.

But really, can we black list someone for the kinds of clients they work
for. Surely even you, in your long and multifaceted career, had to do
things that you didn't quite believe in whole heatedly. You're not black
listed, as far as I can tell. Defense attorneys have to take on all
kinds of sleazy clients. Every one is presumed innocent and has a right
to competent legal representation. Should we black list all those
lawyers that take on these distasteful clients? (okay, maybe using
lawyers is a bad idea, but you get my drift)

And besides, you don't know the complete motivation of the design firm
involved. Maybe it was their goal to bleed the 'offending' institution
completely dry, thereby limiting that institution's ability to promote
their latest I-Max film.

Every time I go to a science center I see inappropriate exhibits (in my
opinion). Sometimes, despite an exhibit firm's best efforts to dissuade
a client, the client must have this exhibit. It must have this message
and it must be done this way. We could walk away, but every institution
is entitled to competent design services, the best they can afford. 'You
have the right to a design team. If you can not afford a design team one
will be appointed for you...

Joe Ruggiero
www.theexhibitguys.com