HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:23:40 +0000
Dear All,

Just to let you know that 'the one who wrote a book on Chaucer' is at
the moment doing a series debunking historical 'truths' about the Middle
Ages (e.g. 'they believed the world was flat', 'women weren't allowed to
do anything', 'the peasants had a dreadful time').

There are some very delightful animations of medieval illustrations,
but, sadly, no footnotes and the balance of documents and material
culture is about where one would expect it from a man who wrote a book
on Chaucer.

Yours,

Pat
(the footnote I really want is the one that gives the reference to the
nugget that today people in the west consume about 5% of calories as
alcohol, but in the middle ages they consumed about 20%).

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Pat Reynolds
   "It might look a bit messy now,