From:
Hi-Do Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:15:37 -0500
Richard Loeb wrote:

>I think this set is the original mastering from the 60s and 70s -
>the new masterings esp.  of the Cantatas that were used for the last
>complete Bach Hanssler Edition - still available - were far finer and
>you also had the text and translation together - I believe in this set
>you only get the texts on separate Cds.

Thank you for pointing out the remastering issue.  I wasn't aware of
that.  After having listened to the CDs randomly in the last few weeks,
I have no complaint as to the quality of the recordings.  In fact, they
sound quite fine to me.  But, that's probably because I haven't had a
chance to compare the new with the original recordings.

And yes, it is most certainly a pity (and rather inconvenient) that the
texts and liner notes in the b.m.s.  set are only available in CD-rom
format.  However, I was already aware of that before buying the set.

I would of course loved to have bought the original Haenssler Bach-
Edition.  But, the rather huge price difference (almost 90% discount)
between the Haenssler set and the b.m.s.  licensed version made the
decision easy for me.  I think 120 Euros is really a small price to pay
for such a wonderful set, which was of course the point of my original
posting to the list.  I am enjoying my daily dose of the complete
Bach-Edition immensely.

Hi-Do SHIN
Seoul, Korea