From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:23:53 -0700
Well, the larger forms by almost every great composer, even LvB, contain
"the galumphing sections, the noodly sections," and so on.  No shock
that there are some in RVW too.  For me, it is hard to pick out a perfect
slice, but I would nominate either of the following: the oboe concerto
(written not long after Dives & Laz), for its perfect writing for oboe
and strings; or the much earlier Norfolk Rhap #1, for those unforgettable
settings and noodlings on noble, modal folk melodies.

Jon Gallant