ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:01:08 -0400
7bit
From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>

Rebecca -

There are so many science centers, and so many positions within them,
and - here's the trick - no two job descriptions are the same! With your
experience as a writer and your emphasis on science, though, I suspect
your ideal job description might be something like: "contributes to the
development of exhibit ideas, writes and tests exhibit sign and
supporting material content" and so on. I hope that's close.

The thing about those sorts of jobs is that sometimes they're in
exhibits, and a person literally has a full time job writing sign copy
(usually the larger museums - Franklin Institute, Boston MOS, etc.). In
smaller places, you might be a member of the education team/department,
and in that capacity might be called on not only to write sign copy
(less total time because less total opportunity - smaller places don't
develop as many exhibits), but might also be called upon to write and/or
deliver public programs, teacher's guides, and so forth.

So my advice to you might be to decide a range of possibilities for
yourself, and then see what's available when you finish your degree.

The only person I know to contact at the MOS in Boston is Christine
Cunningham, who does grantwriting and research. But she might know what
the avenues are for you there and might even make you aware of some
projects on which you could work with the MOS on your thesis. I seem to
remember plans for partnerships toward that end up there.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill Watson
Research Assistant, SCALE-uP
The George Washington University
Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education
2134 G Street, NW
Washington, DC  20052
Phone: (202) 994-1171
Fax: (202) 994-0692