ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Chan, Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:48:23 -0400

Hi All,
I haven't used the liquid nitrogen procedure, what kind of DNA are you
extracting?  genomic or mitochondrial?  Genomic DNA will run as a smear and
I don't think you'll see any differences in banding patterns when cut.  I
used a specific DNA sequence that was radiactively labelled on a Southern
blot of genomic DNA (after cutting with different restriction enzymes) to
see distinguishing patterns.

Unless someone else has already done it, you'll have to look at the DNA
sequences itself and look for restriction sites.  You need to use a sequence
comparison tool -- CLUSTAL, or our Sequence Server -- pull up the sequences
from GenBank and then search for the restriction sites.  You could also cut
and paste the sequence into Word and then do a search for the restriction
sites.  I'm suggesting the former because you can line up all the sequences
at once and look specifically at places where they differ for restriction
sites.

If you provide more info, I may be able to help more.

Regards,
Shirley

Shirley Chan, Ph.D.
Dolan DNA Learning Center