Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:56:50 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Todd Michel McComb ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>So, I've been thinking about getting a recording of the Schubert D960
>sonata, possibly with the other late sonatas.  Although I mainly remember
>how this work goes, I doubt I can even remember which interpreters I've
>heard or which recordings I owned at one time or another (I purge
>recordings often).  What are the current favorites?  Any HIP offerings?
>I have a hankering to hear this a few times, for some reason.

Richter's live 1964 Aldeburgh Festival performance (Music and Arts) is
sui generis.  Extraordinarily slow and he plays the first-movement repeat,
which most omit.

Others: Kovacevich (both recordings) also takes the repeat and is good.
Schnabel is excellent, no repeat.  Radu Lupu is good.  Pollini takes the
repeat, but is perhaps a little cool.  There's a fine D959/960 coupling
by Eva Solar Kinderman on Bayer.  I heard Eva play this live a few weeks
ago and she definitely has the measure of the work.

The only HIP I've heard is by Jos van Immerseel on some obscure label.
It's good but it doesn't really compete.

Deryk Barker