Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:21:09 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Dave Harman responds to Dave Lampson wrote:

>>In fact, according to the latest sales numbers released by RIAA, SACD
>>and DVD-A are losing market share.
>
>Do you think this is because of the added investment of speakers and/or
>equipment upgrade?

Actually, following the chat on SACD forums, most SACD'ers are adamantly
2 channel listeners.  That's OK with me as SACD offers both options.

Dave writes back:

>The second reason it's having a hard time is that the technology has
>never been well explained to the average buyer.  Still, five years after
>introduction, many CD store employees have no idea what SACD and DVD-A
>audio are.  Some don't even know they exist.  Most people who are buying
>CDs don't know or care what SACD is.

I'm still optimistic it will take off in the Classical realm because
classical buyers are used to educating themselves and finding things for
themselves in the first place.  I'll go to any length to find what I"m
looking for.  *I* usually end up helping people find a Classical title
at the local Tower after the salesperson gives up.

Some final comments I forgot yesterday.  Asia is bonkers over SACD, that
may help the format as well.

John Smyth
Sac, CA
(Distraught: took the morning off to buy and listen to the new Mahler
MTT 2nd.  Tower has a copy in the computer, but we couldn't find it in
the store.)