Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:01:03 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Chris Kim asks:

>I would like to ask for advice on spanish choral music.  It does not
>have to be limited to Spain.  I am looking to recommend pieces for my
>stduents who will be on tour to Spain, performing in Madrid and Seville.
>Iw ould like to give them recordig recommendation so that they begin to
>become familiar with the music of the region.
>
>We will be performing works by Matamoros, Ramirez, Victoria among others.
>
>I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Well, Ginastera's Lamentations of Jeremiah comes to mind immediately.
A killer piece.  Falla's Atalantida.  Casals has a nice (but not amazing)
"O vos omnes." If you can find it, the complete Victoria Tenebrae
Resonsories are wonderful.  For Spanish baroque, try Zipoli.  Also, early
Latin-American (when the region still belonged to Spain) music: Fabian
Ximeno's "Ay ay galeguinos," Hernando Franco's "Salve Regina," Marlos
Nobre's "Ago Lona," Almeida Prado's Magnificat, and Juan de Araujo's
"Los cofla desde la estleya." You could also try some of the villancicos.
"Riu, riu, chiu" is merely the best known.  There are many others.

Steve Schwartz