ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Debra Klich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:16:07 -0600

Hi Jessy,

When I did a review of the literature a few years ago I found that
there was little that directly addressed the affective value of museums
specifically, but there were a few studies about science education in
general (including outreach programs).  Here are a few articles I found
to be helpful (please excuse any typos):

Adams, M. & Falk, J (1997). Final Evaluation of SciQuest for the
Carnegie Science Center.  Executive Summary of the Evaluation Reports of
SciQuest (on-line)  wwwl.slinet.org/sciquest.htm

Falk, J. (1983). Time and Behavior as Predictors of Learning. Science
Education, 67(2), 267-276

Flexer, B. & Borun, M. (1984) The Impact of a Class Visit to a
Participatory Science Museum Exhibit and a Classroom Science Lesson.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 21(9), 863-873

Kelter, P., Hughes, K., & Murphy, A (1992). Science Outreach for the
1990's. School Science and Mathematics, 92(7), 365-369

Also, I believe the Nat'l Science Ed. Standards addressed the
importance of the being enthusiastic and excited in their definition of
a scientifically literate person.

I know these citations are old, but may prove to be of some help.

Cheers,
Debra

Debra Klich
Exhibit Developer
Derse Museum Group
1234 N. 62nd Street
Milwaukee, WI  53213
(800 ) 562-2300
(414) 257-2000
(414) 257-1145 fax

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
Centers
institutions.

Hello,

I'm currently doing research on the affective (emotional) dimension of
the museum visitor experience. If
anyone knows of any relevant references -- articles or
research/evaluation reports that investigated this aspect of the museum
experience -- I would love to get the citations. Thanks in advance for
any help you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Jessy

Jessy Dorn, Ph.D.