ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mark Fowle @ INNOVA" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:48:04 -0700

Valerie,

I don't know about the kit you have but I know some things about motors and
LEDs.  So, this is a guess on my part.

First both LED and DC motors (used as generators) have polarity.  When the
shaft on a DC motor is spun one way it will generate Direct Current flowing
in one direction.  When spun the other direction the flow of the current
goes in the other direction.  An LED will only light when the current is
flowing in the correct direction.  If you spin the motor by hand and the LED
is connected properly, the LED should light when spun in one direction and
not the other.  If the propeller is spinning the motor shaft in "the other"
(wrong direction for the way the LED is connected) it will not light the LED
when wind blows on the prop.  It should be a simple matter of reversing the
wires on the LED.

You may also have a resistor connected in series with the LED.  This is to
prevent excessive current through the LED (which will burn out the LED).
This resistor can be on either side of the LED.

Just a guess.  Good luck,

-Mark-

 * Mark Fowle, Partner
 * SIGNAL-INNOVA
 * 2841 East 19th Street
 * Signal Hill, CA 90755
 * Email: [log in to unmask]
 * http://www.SIGNAL-INNOVA.com/
 * Phone: (800) 417-9060
 * Fax: (800) 773-7694

 * A completely solid-state VIDEO PLAYER! ?
 * Click Here for more Info ->
http://www.signal-innova.com/viewfile/FlashVideo.html