ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:51:27 -0700

Hi, Summer,

I was at the California Science Center in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago
with my family and saw what you're probably looking for in their exhibit on
light. The exhibit includes a set of prisms, mirrors, and lenses and allows
the participant to direct light from a source to the base of a bundle of
fiber optic strands. When everything is lined up just right, the light
shines through the ends of the fibrer bundle, which is splayed out like a
large fountain at the top, about 5 - 6 feet tall. I was just a visitor, so
I can't tell you a source, but I'm sure they can.

Diane

At 12:08 AM 8/7/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a replacement for our fiber optic bundle in a
>light/optics program.  There are no markings on it; I've looked online,
>and such items seem few and far between.  Here's exactly what we're
>looking for:
>
>Fibers between .5 and 1.0 mm in diameter
>Fibers 4-5 feet long
>Fibers unjacketed
>About 300-500 fibers
>Bound at one end securely, aligned perfectly
>The other ends are unbounded
>And the clincher?  It looks like a horse's tail.
>
>I don't know if what we have is "actual" fiber optic cable.  Are these
>available pre-fab?  I've contacted a few fiber optics companies, and
>they offer a kit for producing networks, not necessarily demonstration
>tools. The only place I've seen these big bundles is in science museum
>programs/demos.
>
>The major science supply companies sell "fiber optic demo kits," but the
>ones I've spied are not large-scale enough.  I'm looking for huge,
>auditorium-show shazaminess.
>
>Maybe I'll just pick up one of those "fiber optic dome" things and
>dismantle it.
>
>Any help would be appreciated, if you "opt" to do so...
>
><grin>
>
>-Summer
>_______________________________
>Summer N. Smith
>Public Programs Manager
>The Science Place, Dallas, TX
>214-428-5555 ext. 341
>Visit our website!  http://www.scienceplace.org

Diane A. Baxter, Ph.D.
Director of Development
Quail Botanical Gardens
P.O. Box 230005
Encinitas, CA  92023-0005
(760) 436-3036 ext. 216
www.qbgardens.org

"Sowing seeds of wonder for today and tomorrow"