ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:43:22 -0400

I agree with Beryl.  In the age of diversity and respect for others,
it's time that we as quasi public organizations come up with something
unique that doesn't force us to choose one holiday or the other many
that we can choose from.  We will always leave someone out. When I was
at a Ford Visitor's center - Spirit of Ford, we ran a winter experience
called, ICE.  We had lots of activities and exhibits about cold, snow
and driving in the winter (of course this was a car experience).  We
even had a Model A snow mobile on display.  That was very cool.   It was
a great experience and leveraged what we were all about -- cars, science
and technology. We even rented a fake, but life size  ice skating rink
outside where people skated around - It was easier than making real
ice..  Try doing that in 50 degree weather in Rockerfeller Center.  You
could in Detroit no matter how warm it was.

Due to corporate pressure we did have christmas trees, but it wasn't
really necessary.  Let's have winter festivals in our buildings and do
something that retail folks and religious organizations won't do.  This
approach doesn't make everyone happy, but it is certainly respectful of
differences.

And yes, many people will say, "but Christmas Trees aren't religious so
why do non-Christians feel so uncomfortable?"  Not all non christians
feel uncomfortable, but some do and we want to be welcoming to all,
don't we?  Believe me, it's even more uncomfortable when you express
your concern that you feel it's not welcoming and others become
defensive. Please do not give those who suggest alternatives a hard time
and say that they are ruining everyone's Christmas, they're just their
thoughts and being inventive and creative.  This is all about dialog and
working together.

Good luck.

Stephen