ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kurt Koller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:09:27 -0700

Hey Folks,

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to pulse people into an exhibit
space using a range of times rather than a specific time?

For example, with a range of times, a ticket would be sold whose stated
entry time is some time frame (e.g., 10am to 11am, 11am to Noon, &c.)
whereas a specific time would be the more traditional discrete entry time
(e.g., 10:00 am, 10:15 am, 10:30am, &c.)

The reason I ask is that we want to "pulse" people through the entrance of
the exhibit at a regulated rate, but we do not have a corresponding plan to
pulse people out of the exhibit, which might lead to a clogged up exhibit
space before long. We are concerned that if we sell tickets with specific
entry times that people will have the expectation of beginning their exhibit
experience more or less at the time printed on their ticket--and we cannot
guarantee that with the current plan. This is a very real problem that we
encountered during our hosting of the Titanic exhibit.

We hit on the range of times as one possible solution (we would control the
ticket allocations to help distribute the load to different time frames),
but we'd like to hear from others about it--as well as any other solutions
to this problem.

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt Koller | Visitor Services Manager | Pacific Science Center
ph: 206-443-2875 | fax: 206-443-3631 | [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>