HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nan Hawthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:21:24 -0800
I am looking for artistic approximations/representations of Winchester UK in about the year 900... and wondered if anyone here is aware of any in existence.

I am also just interested in the topic of how historians and archaeologists take what evidence exists and use them to picture the original buildings, etc.

As it happens, I am a novelist and want to capture Winchester in that period as clearly as I can and still spin a good yarn.  I would like to know more about how Winchester would have looked during and immediately after Alfred's rebuilding of the Roman walls and establishing the location as the "capital" of his England.

I also am interested to know what buildings existed in the town at that time.  I at least scored the Saxon names of the three principle streets!

Thanks for any help or direction you can offer.

Nan Hawthorne
http://saxonwinchester.wikispaces.com