HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:41:59 -0500
No but It reminded me of "PsychoSources" back in the 1970's, a "Whole
Earth Catalog" if you will of psychology. In it there was a paper disk
one cut out, of alternating radii of black and white bands, of no
discernible pattern, (like an onion, with black and white sections of
layers) that purported to induce color perception when mounted on a
the turntable of a record player and spun at various RPM.

"Benham's Disc

This production of color from a black and white pattern has been
rediscovered independantly several times in the past 200 years - a
black and white spinning top produced the effect originally. The
effect occurs because there are three kinds of color receptors in the
eye. One is sensitive to red, another to blue, another to green, and
responding together in different proportions they produce all our
color experience. The three kinds of receptors take slightly different
amounts of time to start and stop responding, so the repeated
black-white flashes from the rotating disc build up different levels
of activity in each. The brain interprets these different levels as
though colored light had produced them. Interestingly, the color
systems of TV cameras are subject to being fooled in exactly the same
way."  - p 71 PsychoSources: A Psychology Resource Catalog by the
Editors of CRM, Inc." Editor: Evelyn Shapiro. Bantam Books Toronto.New
York/London A National General Company.c) 1973 Communications Research
Machines, Inc. Published simultaneously in the United States and
Canada