HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:29:48 -0500
When I first thought of this thread, I thought of the banned (from
performing in the USA) Welshman, "Donovan" (his son is in a Hare
Krishna music band here in the USA) and his "cute" song "Jennifer
Juniper" as it was once my phone exchange, Juniper that is, and well,
those have sort have gone by the wayside as mnemonic devices, (I now
live in the former "Underhill" phone exchange, and perhaps the former
telex switching building, a curious practice of naming the first
numbers in a phone number after a "descriptive" combination of the
letters on the phone keypad).

Would I, however as thought further look "down under" as there a
assignation of "Sheila" presents a similar enigma. I read and had
confirmed by a recent immigrant form Oz (or Australia) that in fact a
Sheila can mean a daughter-in-law and mother combination. I imagine
referring to a woman, to a "mate," as a "Sheila" is some reference to
both. Maybe.

Then I thought maybe all the answers someone else found were right.
There's no way it could refer to the once immensely popular Jenny Lind
"the Swedish Nightingale"? "Jenny Lind (Goldschmidt) is a nineteenth
century woman known as the Worlds Sweetest Singer" and "Jenny Lind
Made Her American Debut in New York City September 11, 1850" (Google)
but then who was "Sheila"?

George Myers