HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:04:10 +1000
Hi Cathy,

Can't help with the whiskey but a thought regarding
the cigars:  is your friend quite sure they want their
character to be smoking cigars?

In 1905 they could well have been smoking a fine briar
pipe, or a meerschaum, and I can help you with names
and details - including tobacco blends - for those.

Also, if the character is of Irish descent (possible
judging by the 'e' in whiskey) and depending on their
gender and social class they may well still have  been
smoking a (?well-seasoned) clay pipe.

(That is, unless the character happens to be the ghost
of Lola Montez - in which case, by all means give her
a cigar!)

Kris

http://au.movies.yahoo.com