HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:10:38 -0400
Cathy, Your friend could contact Robert E. Snyder about the whiskey
question, since he is an expert on late 19th, early 20th century whiskeys.
He has written 2 books on the subject and heads the Snyder Whiskey Research
Center, 4235 West 13th, Amarillo, TX 79106.  (I hope the address is still
current.)  In his book on whiskey advertising called "Whiskey Paper)
(Published by the author in 1980), he lists and dates several whiskeys sold
around 1905.  These include Detrick's Old Reserve (wholesale price: $1.25
per quart in 1909), Sherwood Distillery's Copper Distilled Pure Rye Malt
Whiskey (advertised in 1904), Old Bradlee Rye Whiskey (advertised in 1907),
Cyrus Noble Old Bourbon Whiskey (adv. in 1903), Duffy's Pure Malt Whiskey (a
major product for many years- at least from 1850 to 1910), among many
others.
Allen Vegotsky