HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:31:47 -0500
There are also problems from the 19th century when various kaolin clay pipes
reappeared, for example the fairly well known MacDougal pipe and another for
example "Home Rule" Irish clay pipe found at the West Point Foundry "workers
housing" area. The "workers" according to Ed Rutsch and others (19th century
records of industrial indenture are held by some of the residents who were
there e under false identities as Great Britain had laws against leaving the
country with certain skills held to be in the national interest. Actually
where these people came from was or would be difficult to determine without
the historical research from the "un-indexed" and apparently classified
information on the West Point Foundry, also considered to be in the national
interest to be kept secret. Known however was the first organized labor
action in a US Federal facility.

So there are pipestems from the nineteenth century that could play with the
formula, and the known variance in the Dutch pipestems that contradicts the
standard regression hypothesized for most pipestems. I am not aware of 19th
century pipestem studies.

George Myers