HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:20:21 +1100
Denis,

You are of course absolutely right to point out that clay smoking pipes
featured specifically Australian-themed decorations, as with the (in?)famous
'Squatters Budgeree' design (and appear to be too modest to reference for
everyone else's behalf: Gojak D. & Stuart, I. 1999. 'The potential for the
archaeological study of clay tobacco pipes from Australian sites',
Australasian Historical Archaeology 17:38-49).

Away from the world of clay pipes, we also know that Stephen Green of
Lambeth (c.1820-1858) was making stoneware bottles for Tasmanian firms (at
least) prior to the 1860s, largely because we have marked examples from
Green for specific companies.

But the one conclusion that both of our posts inevitably lead us towards is:
we have a lot of work to do before we understand the mechanics of the
interaction between taste and trade in colonial Australian

Alasdair