HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:38:42 -0500
Yesterday a chat bot (CyberBuddy) announced it was Wellington Day in New
Zealand. Coincidently I had just been reading a small book about it and
thought to include a passage here to say hello to Wellington, NZ which
formerly was called Port Nicholson.

"On 5th May, 1839, the advance guard of the First Colony of New Zealand, as
the first settlement was called, left London for New Zealand on the barque
'Tory'".

"From Track To Highway A Short History of New Zealand" by Alan Mulgan,
Whitcombe and Tombs, Wellington, 1944.

Happy Birthday I guess one would say here. Famous New Zealander Edmund
Hillary (he and the Nepalese Sherpa Tenzing Norgay climbed Mt. Everest and
lived to tell about it first) stopped into my 3rd grade class back in 1960
and I never forgot what he said. He spoke about how fortunate we were to
have our Wood Road Elementary School in Centereach and how he was going back
to Nepal to build schools there which he has among many other
accomplishments, including the recent 50th anniversary celebration of the
climb that took place in Nepal. One of my professors, Rex Jones co-authored
with Shirley Jones a book on ethnography there "The Himalayan Woman" partly
about changing roles in new markets. Many Tibetan rugs are weaved in Nepal
now using New Zealand wool.

George Myers