HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:25:09 -0700
I've done a lot of work with schoolchildren.  Now I head off the question
about value by phrasing it the way one child did, "(Do you want to know)
what is the neatest thing (I've) ever found?"
Many years ago we received a huge assemblage of artifacts from Santa
Barbara.  There were many, many items, from several different features; one
of the features was associated with a Chinese laundry.  The collection was
not sorted at all.  I was basically just dividing the stuff up, when I came
upon a piece of what looked to be a standard bathroom tile - you know, those
ones that are about 4 inches square.  What caught my attention was the
unusual detail that this white tile was matte - completely unglazed.  As I
looked closer, under the dried mud, I could see little marks.  It turned out
to be the English alphabet, written in pencil.
I suppose there are several explanations for this, but my favorite is that a
Chinese immigrant was practicing the foreign (to him) alphabet, or perhaps
making a reference copy of what the characters should look like.  And what I
like about this artifact is that it was personalized.  There was more than
just the manufactured "thing".
That tile, with its writing, is still my favorite artifact.

S. Walter