HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:17:09 -0400
Would it, you think, have been part of the process in a trans-shipment
point? That is for example, there were cattle "drives" to "The End" Montauk
Point, Long Island, where Teddy Roosevelt ad the "Rough Riders" left for
Cuba (and quarantine for animals, I imagine) where cattle were shipped off
to Europe and other places (apparently last in the 1960's, that however was
from cattle off Long Island, apparently, my neighbor's Rocky Mountain
Spotted fever said to have come from a layover on the way to Montauk Point).
Montauk is in Suffolk County, which has a long cattle tradition, the book of
its registered cattle brands, kept in Albany, NY go back to the 1600's. The
land was deemed in court held in the Tweed Courthouse I'm pretty sure, in
1910, to not belong to the claimants, the Montaukett, whose descendants live
in the American Mid-west.

Or was it just done on the ranch?

George Myers