HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Gronhovd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:42:56 -0500
Does anyone have any information about excavating in soils potentially contaminated with Tuberculosis? I checked the HISTARCH Archives, contacted the state health department, and did some research on the internet (American Lung Assoc., and a couple medical websites). Unfortunately, I haven't received any particularly reassuring answers. Essentially I've been told that we're *probably* not at risk, and that we're *probably* okay as long as we're not in an enclosed space. (Are shovel tests considered, "an enclosed space"?) I'd like something a bit more definitive than "probably."

What I'm wondering is how long does TB survive in the soil? (This project is in northern Minnesota where the winters are VERY cold - 20 to 40 degrees below 0 is not uncommon.) Could a crew member contract TB by breathing in the dust raised from screening, getting dirt in their eyes or mouth, or from digging in a relatively small hole?

Thanks for the help!
Amanda Gronhovd

Amanda Gronhovd
Principal Investigator