ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:43:44 -0600
7bit
From:
Tim Pula <[log in to unmask]>

Diane,

        We have a wonderful lab program here at the Gulf Coast Exploreum. We
have a hands on lab which is open all day. It is set in such a way that each
experiment is self directed, via an instruction sheet. Some of the
experiments are taken straight from collage lab manuals and some from books
about fun science at home. We try to have experiments with varying degrees
of difficulty. All of the materials used are safe for any age child. There
are 6 different lab stations set up, each with its own experiment directions
and the materials needed to perform the experiment. Not only does it benefit
our home school visitors it also benefits anyone visiting our science
center.
        We set up our experiments based on a theme, which changes monthly.
Some of our themes have been Biochemistry, It's a Gas and Chemistry 101. As
with any science lab activity it does not take much to tailor a given
experiment to the topic at hand. We have found that we can use one
experiment to cover topics in 3-4 of our lab themes. All that is needed is a
simple rewording of the experiment and outcome. We also use our lab setting
to do perform demonstrations related the theme. This allows us to provide
even more information, do some attention getting science experiments and to
be available for in-depth questions.
        The lab is a permanent part of our exhibit hall and as far as I have
seen still rather rare among science centers, in the aspect of visitor
usability. We have modeled our lab off of OMSI's, Oregon Museum of Science
and Industry, chemlab. This type of setting is a great platform to share
hands on labs with not only the home school crowed but regular visitors as
well.

Educating, ecouraging, and enlightening...
Tim Pula
Science Coordinator
Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center
Office (251) 208-6858
Lab (251) 208-6859

Experience new experiments each month in the Ciba Lab.