HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
william mcAlexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:19:52 -0800
Ha Ha, so would I Denis. I guess it depends on North or South Hemisphere.
.
    But realy, from the photographs, the structures were in the center, and
the landing field outside.  If you think of a circle, from the center to the
outer edge can be measured in a strait line.  That is how they took off.
The principle is in moving away from a linear design, which as you expand
can and will eventually take up a lot of space.

    As for WW I airfields they were not paved, only leveled out.  Some were
planted in slow growing short leafed grass.  In reading about German pilots,
one remark was that during the rainy season, almost as many aircraft were
disabled by muddy fields as were shot up.  Here in Northern North America, I
do not know about Mexico, French drains were installed along at least one
edge of the landing field. French drains were shallow ditches loosly filled
with gravel that would channel excess water away from the field towards a
natural drainage.

Although macadam surfaces were used in road construction, they do not appear
on any of the photographs of the landing surfaces I've checked.  I have not
checked airfields constructed in the 1930s.

I would hazard a guess that paved surfaces were really not a high priority
untill aircraft weights and overall air travel incresed in the 30s.

If you haven't already checked it Denis, you might want to check out the
photos archived in the Australian War Memorial.  Great stuff there.
I hope this helps,
William E. McAlexander Jr.