HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laura West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 07:05:55 -0500
The advertising does not state whether the archeology is being led by a
professional, but the wording of the ad odes lead the reader to think of
archeology as a fun pastime that anyone can do for a price. That implication
is what offends me while I try to preserve archeological sites from being
impacted by sewer lines and the like. While it is not alway possible to
preserve sites or portions of sites for future researchers who may have
better theoretical models that we do at present, it does behoove us to at
least present the work we do as that done by professionals with specific
training and knowledge, don't you think? I realize it is not likely that the
advertisement would be written by an archeologist, but a few moments of
consultation would possibly have given the writer a new perspective on the
importance professionals place on their work.

Just a thought,
Laura West