HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:20:49 -0500
Guys,

This is NOT classic unglazed, matte-finished Jasperware.  This is, if you
must, Jasperware with a clear, interior/exterior glaze, but in this case the
monochrome paste is a sky blue color, a "brighter" blue than classic Wedgwood blue
....  Although it may be technologically related to classic Jasperware, this
is something different, much more akin to the clear-glazed "Canewares" of the
mid-nineteenth century.

Alasdair, the problem that you are having describing this ware, and the
apparent problem of the listening audience in understanding what you are
describing, is clearly a function of its rarity on American sites.  Babson's description
of a 5% presence is way over the top ...  I would put it more likely at .01%
or less, probably closer to .001%;  this is very rare.  I have only seen one
or two sherds amongst several hundred site assemblages.

Mark C. Branstner

Great Lakes Research, Inc.
210 E. Sherwood Road
Williamston, MI 48895