HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:13:14 -0800
H.R. 1446 is coming up for a hearing this Thursday in front of the Senate
Sub-Committee on National Parks. This bill, titled "The California Missions
Preservation Act" passed the House but has gotten stuck in the Senate.

The bill would provide $10 million to the California Missions Foundation (a
501 (c)(3) non-profit) over five years through a grant from the Department
of the Interior. The monies are for the repair and restoration of all the
California Missions, and the preservation and restoration of the artworks
and artifacts.

Under Section 2, the bill states, "...As provided in section 101(e)(4) of
the National Historic Preservation Act (16 U.S.C. 470a(e)(4)), the
Secretary [of the Interior] shall ensure that the purpose of a grant under
this section is secular, does not promote religion, and seeks to protect
those qualities that are historically significant."

Unfortunately, the American Association United for the Separation of Church
and State plans to show up at the hearing to oppose the bill.

We ask that you write the following Senators to pass this bill to the
Senate Floor. For some reason, the chair of the sub-committee is against
the bill and has been trying to let it die in committee. He is only
allowing testimony from a few people, but if we make our voices heard,
perhaps the bill will pass. Senators Barbara Boxer
(http://boxer.senate.gov) and Diane Feinstein (http://feinstein.senate.gov)
are solidly behind the bill and will be testifying as well.

Chair: Sen. Craig Thomas (R - WY)  http://thomas.senate.gov

Sen. Gordon Smith (R- OR)  http://gsmith.senate.gov

Sen. Daniel Akaka (D - HI) http://akaka.senate.gov

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R - TN)  http://alexander.senate.gov/contact