HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:50:18 -0800
Hello all,

Beeswax has been used for centuries upon centuries as a cavity mold for gold castings.. Find
gold and you'll find Beeswax !

The process was to make an image of Beeswax .. then cast plaster around it {plaster .. or what
ever they used back then} then melt the Beeswax out of the mold .. and pour in the gold.

Dentists today use the same process.

Beeswax is interesting because it can be compounded to melt at any temperature you wish very
very accurately {within it's range of course}. Auto thermostats use Beeswax to power the
thermostat open!

I've not looked .. but I'd guess the Thanksgiving Turkey {"I'm done" pop-up indicator} is