From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:43:56 -0500
Robert Floyd:

>If we can take a lesson from history, perhaps it's time to return to the
>era of patronage.  Until the 19th Century (more or less), many composers
>were supported by royal patronage.  While I don't believe we'll see the
>NEA, or any other government body, acting in that role, why not look to
>the true sources of power and influence in this country: the corporations?

Well, unfortunately, this has already happened.  Corporations have been
giving money to arts organizations for years, and the arts are still in
precarious shape.  I have no idea what the answer is, but I suspect that
someone other than a few weirdos are going to have to want serious art
to the point where they're willing to pay for it.

Steve Schwartz