HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:26:25 -0500
From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
There is a very short discussion on calibrated pharmaceutical bottles in
Griffenhangen and Bogard's "History of Drug Containers and Their Labels,"
pg. 36 (published in 1999).  The first such calibrated bottle described in
this source was patented by George W. Stoekel in Feb. 1866, however, the
calibrations were for ounces, not cubic centimeters.  Griffenhagen and
Bogard state that "Eventually there were many styles of graduated
prescription bottles, especially after 1900."  You might want to send an
inquiry with a bottle description to the American Institute of the History
of Pharmacy located in Madison, Wisconsin.  The website I have is
www.aihp.org  Good luck.

Allen Vegotsky