Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:25:34 -0600
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Richard Todd:

>Here thought I knew Mussorgksky's work reasonably well and along comes
>a radio announcer announcing something called Sunrise over the Moscow
>River.  To make matters worse, he claims that this exquisite little piece
>comes from Khovanchina, with which I thought I had some familiarity.
>Can anyone fill me in?  Thanks.

Sure.  It's the "Prelude" to Khovanshchina, also known as "Dawn on the
Moskva River."  You usually find it in CDs of selections of Russian
orchestral music.  Szell has a lovely recording of the piece all by itself
on Sony, with for my money the best versions of Pictures and Rimsky's
Capriccio Espagnol.

Steve Schwartz