HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tasha Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:43:01 -0400
Is it possible for you to access a copy of the original document, Grant?

I have worked with many 17th-century inventories and documents, and
transcription errors are very common.  This is not surprising, given that
many are (or were, at the time that they were copied or transcribed) in
poor condition, as you noted.  There is also the unfortunate fact that not
everyone who undertakes the effort of transcribing early documents is
familiar with the items that were in common use at the time, making it
difficult to rely absolutely upon the accuracy of transcribed sources.

I've also seen dozens of references to stilliards/stillyards in
17th-century inventories (with more variations in spelling than I care to
bore you with here), but I have yet to encounter an item-- traveling alone
or in pairs-- that was known as a "shillard" and that would have had a
place in a colonial household.  There is, of course, the chance that this
individual possessed a true novelty, but I'm not sure that there's reason
to believe that's the case, given the full context of the inventory.

Yet there's no way to be certain about it without first being certain that
the transcription is accurate.  If you can get (and share...?) a copy of
the original document, we can probably figure out if you're dealing with a
true "mystery object" or if we're spinning our wheels over a transcription
error.

Looking forward to solving this mystery...

:) Tasha Jones