HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:32:58 -0700
But that index only works if it's a medicine bottle...which at least the
last 2 listed (by Larry) are not.  But it's still a good link to know about
Allen.  :o)

The 2nd bottle mentioned was made by (Caspar) H(ermann) Heye Glass
Works...in Germany.  Some bottles are marked BREMEN...while others have
HAMBURG (the 2 different cities of manufacture).  The marking is probably
written in English because the beer was principally for export to the US
and/or England.

Rex Wilson's "Bottles on the Western Frontier" (pg 117) shows an example
(mark #82) from Bremen...found at Ft. Union (NM), that was in use till 1891.

Here's the current company website History page:
http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.heye-glas.de/geschichte/geschichte_d1.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Hermann%2BHeye%2BGlasfabrik%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

I sent info about the Ellenville Glass Works yest. (Mon.)...did you get
that info Larry?