HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:53:36 -0700
Montana,

You may want to walk over to the Historic Preservation Department on
campus and talk to Dr. Don Peting. Last year he took his annual
historic preservation field school to the Boston Flour Mill in Shedd,
Oregon. The mill is still extant, (and works!) dating to I believe the
1870s, and is the last water powered flour mill in Oregon. Oregon State
Parks has just purchased the site, and will hopefully soon open it to
the public. The site is just up the road from Eugene, and down the road
from Salem, and it should give you an up close look at a similar
example to what you are looking at archaeologically. I believe Don's
students did architectural drawings and took many photos, so meeting
with him is highly advisable.

Best of luck

Robert Cromwell, M.A.
Archaeologist