HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:11:59 -0400
Is there a backmark?

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Carol Serr
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 3:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: button ID help request

Wow...that's a Lot of stuff (elements) on ONE button!  I don't know
anything about Civil War relics...or buttons...but can't pass up a
challenge to search the net. heh heh.

Have you checked this site?:
http://www.relicman.com/butc.htm

And then you could always post your query on such a relic hunters forum
as
this:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/relichunting/archives/19990906/

I see several button ID postings here...

At 03:17 PM 6/30/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>If anyone has any information that could help in identifying the
>symbols on a button found during a recent project, it would be
>appreciated.  I have a photograph of the button and a sketch of the
>symbols and will be more than happy to email them to you at your
request.

>During Phase II excavations at site 8ES2769 (Billingsley Tract) at
>Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, a machine-stamped copper button
>(approx. 1.5 cm in diameter) was recovered.  The manufacture technique
>dates this button from the mid- to late-nineteenth century.  This
>button depicts an unusual group of symbols on the face, which consists
>of a variety of elements such as a two-story building that appears to
>be a church, a floating two-masted boat, water ripples, a clump of
>grass and/or reeds, a snake, a stylized fish, possibly two butterflies,

>stars, circles, two stylized torches, and three chain links depicted
>horizontally.  Other geometric symbols depicted near the edge of the
button are not easily discernable.

>The time periods represented at the site are mainly early
>American/antebellum, Civil War, and reconstruction into the twentieth
>century.  A portion of the site was once a part of the
>mid-nineteenth-century Warrington Village, which was constructed around

>the Navy Yard at Pensacola.  Most of the village was destroyed during
>the Civil War and never rebuilt.  In 1906, a hurricane struck the area
>and any structures left standing were completely razed after the storm
>destruction was cleared away.  In the 1930s, two-story brick officer's
>quarters were constructed in this area and remain today.
>
>Cyndi Sims
>Panamerican Consultants, Inc.
>Tampa, Florida
>(813) 884-6351

This email message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.