HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:46:20 -0400
Chris,

      Your question on the sale of local potters' ware to earthenware
dealers and jobbers can be partly answered from some of the serving account
books.  An account book for the Philadelphia earthenware jobber George M.
Coates for the period 1824 to 1831 is held in the Downs Collection of the
Winterthur Museum Library in Winterthur, Delaware.  Back in 1979-1980 I did
a study of that account book and it lists regular purchases of wares from
local potters.  In 1980 I organized a day-long conference on the marketing
of ceramics in North America.  The following papers from that conference
were published in the spring 1984 issue of Winterthur Portfolio, volume 19,
number 1.

Regina Lee Blaszczyk
      Ceramics and the Sot-Weed Factor: The China Market in a Tobacco
Economy.

Arlene Palmer Schwind
      The Ceramic Imports of Frederick Rhinelander, New York Loyalist
Merchant.

George L. Miller
      George M. Coates, Pottery Merchant of Philadelphia, 1817-1831.

Susan H. Myers
      Marketing American Pottery: Maulden Perine in Baltimore.

The volume also has a paper by Bernard L. Herman titled "Multiple
Materials, Multiple Meanings: The Fortunes of Thomas Mendenhall.

      I have also published a paper titled "The Association of Earthen Ware
Dealers of Boston" that covers the period 1817 to 1835.    This paper was
based on the minutes for the association which have survived in the
Massachusetts Historical Society.  It can be found in The Heritage of
Wedgwood: Articles from the Proceedings of the Wedgwood International
Seminars held in Charlotte #36, and Boston #37, Dallas #38.  Edited by
Keith A. McLeod and James R. Boyle, published in 1988.  Pages 126-147.

Peace,
George L. Miller
URS Corporation
561 Cedar Lane