HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:57:26 +0000
While I have never excavated under a house, I did termite work to pay for my MA. I have been under a few thousand houses. I have seen ceramics, slate, spoons and forks under some of the historic houses in downtown Savannah. So I offer this.

Depending on how much space you have you will need a variety of tools.

A dust mask is the most important. Some houses are very dry underneath and a slight movement will kick up a lot of dust.  Some houses are damp underneath and then you have mold. Jump suits for working in really help. Crawling around on your belly tends to put dirt in strange places.

If the house is really low you may have to tunnel around. air conditioning ducts and pipes have to be tunneled under.  You can not crawl over them as they will break.  Be careful tunneling you my get stuck from time to time (I have).

Small army shovels work well in confined spaces.

If you remove a lot of dirt you may also need to add extra support to the house.

You will also need lots of light. Large flash lights work well but you can also string work lights.

People working under a house also need more breaks. Having spent a full 8hrs under a house I can say that after a while things do close in.

Finally as always consult OSHA begs.  You will be in a  confined work space.

Dan Hughes

-- Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In a message dated 4/30/2004 7:25:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]