HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joshua Brinker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:02:01 -0800
Karen,

    If it is a true white granite it is going to be composed of quartz and
feldspar only, while ironstone is a rock containing at least fifteen percent
iron. Ironstone forms in igneous rocks through mahmatic differentiation -
dense heavy minerals such as magnetite crystallize first and sink to the
base of the molten magma to form an iron-rich layer. Ironstone also forms in
sedimentary rocks such as limestone and sandstone. All this information is
courtesy of my wife, the Geologist.

    Josh Brinker