HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Holland, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:33:45 -0500
Of course there is truth in everything that Carol says about misidentification, etc., but it is also true that we can't save everything. It is physically and economically impossible. If you start from the fact that saving *literally* everything--every email, every McDonald's happy meal toy, every candy bar wrapper--is impossible and in fact undesirable, then you have to accept that some type of intelligent de-accessioning has to take place. that applies to our current garbage as well as past garbage. It is the unpleasant truth that we are constrained by time, space, money, and other powers beyond our control. Therefore, we have to concentrate on those sites and collections that truly have potential to tell us something important about the past. It is evident from the posts on this topic and similar ones that opinions differ on what and how much is important; clearly, continued constructive discussion is needed.

Recovering pack rat,

Jeff

"Everything flows; nothing remains." --Heraclitus

Jeffrey L. Holland
Senior Historian
TRC Companies, Inc.
3772 Pleasantdale Road,