HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nick Honerkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:24:10 -0400
I found a delftware drug jar base this summer at an early 19th century
plantation site in Greeneville, TN. There was a mystery substance still in
the jar base, so I sent part of it out for spectographic analysis and got
the following:

No arsenic or mercury, but they did list as "strong" ( > 10%) barium,
calcium and lead.

"Medium" (1% - 10%) estimates were given for aluminum and silicon. Trace (<
0.1%) for copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, silver titanium.

Organics (volatiles @ 1100' F) = 13.99%

It bubbles like crazy in hydrochloric acid, so carbonate is present. Next
step is an XRD. So far I've gotten three suggestions from various chemists:
paint, a laxative, and a dental amalgam (i.e., what you fill cavities
with). Anybody have any other ideas, or sources I can check?

Not something I'd want to mix with my morning OJ, is what I'm thinking...

Nick

Nicholas Honerkamp, Ph.D.
Acting Head, Sociology, Anthropology, & Geography
Director, Institute of Archaeology
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598