HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:32:37 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> (i.e. Gordon <[log in to unmask]>) writes
>For what it is worth I recall seeing some bricks of about the size you
>mention in Malaysia (Malacca I think) in some early fortifications.  Wonder
>if it was an early colonial size which subsequently fell out of favour for
>the thicker ones more commonly used around Australia.

Yes - bricks have come in various legislated sizes (and approximations
and exceptions to those sizes) over time.  Pat Ryan has done some
excellent work in Essex (UK) showing how it's possible to use bricks
pretty much as one would use other ceramics, including dating bricks
from their size (taken together with form, fabric, etc).

In Malacca, I'd expect the bricks (if associated with the Dutch East
India Company (VOC) colony to be around c150x75x40mm.  These could be
the yellow bricks (known as 'clinkers' in British English - but not the
only bricks to go by that name) which were made along the river IJ in
the Netherlands, which were exported around the world, or locally made.
There's a great paper on these in _Construction History_ 17, by TP
Smith.

I _think_ I've read that these bricks have been found in Australia, in
the cargoes of wrecked Eastindiamen - but I don't think I've ever read
of their use in structures - I'd like to know if any have.

With best wishes,

Pat
(who has, allegedly, spent today researching the 'Dutch' and their
buildings - barriers to learning today included a lottery project
needing urgent attention, someone needing talking through the principles
of strategic review, and the laundry)

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)