From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:18:01 +0100
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Robert seems not to be able to distinguish between the composer and the
>output)

I am able to do it but I dont want to, Bernard.  For me it is much more
rewarding to deal with classical music in connection with biography and
history.  I am deeply convinced that a composers character (which can
be quite manifold) and his historical background shows in his music.
Beethoven would have written different music if he had had a loving wife
and no hearing problems or had lived just fifty years later.  Schubert
would have written different music if he had had a happy marriage and
had lived in a more democratic society.  And Liszts music would have
been different without his vanity (and I know that theres also the Liszt
who touchingly cared for other composers and poor people).  Classical
music like any art isnt created in a vacuum, it is made by living,
breathing people under biographical and historical influences.  And I
find it totally thrilling and thought-provoking to learn about these
influences and thus understand and enjoy music more.

Robert Peters