From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:36:49 -0500
Seb replies to Scott Morrison:

>>It the first theme (after the short slow introduction) of the first
>>movement of Schubert's Symphony No. 5 and it's in B flat.
>
>And have you ever noticed that the "short slow introduction" is virtually
>identical to the choral motif from the first movement ("Selig sind") of
>Brahms' German Requiem.

I still maintain that the prototype for Schubert's 5th Symphony was
Mozart's 40th.  Without having done a formal analysis, the thematic
layout of the Schubert 5th seems to correspond pretty closely to that
of Mozart's 40th, practically throughout all four movements.  I did a
Google search on "Schubert 5 Mozart 40", but didn't find much other than
an Orchestra's web site that described how the orchestra decided to play
Mozart's 40th instead of Schubert's 5th, being that both pieces used the
same orchestra (e.g.  no clarinets, timpani, etc..).

Seb, you mentioned Brahms' Requiem.  I recently bought the "LSO Live"
performance with Andre Previn, and was completely blown away.  It's
possibly the best sounding CD in my collection (1000+ CDs), and the
performance is outstanding.  The Requiem is one of my favorite Brahms
pieces.  I feel that he sometimes missed the mark (especially with his
larger scale, "ambitious" works), but he got a bull's eye with the
Requiem.

Mike Leghorn
Evanston, Il.