HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:48:43 -0500
From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
I've gone somewhat in the other direction, myself, and I beleive, along with this thread, that allegies do change as you age.  I used to get terrible cases of poison ivy when I was a child, especially from playing in it in places where my family went on vacation, and I did not know where the "bad plants" were growing.  I definitely recall having to drop out of driver's ed for two weeks the summer I was 16, with one of my last completely debilitating cases.  In such a case, I probably made a spetacularly poor career choice.  Now, I don't get it as badly, and I no longer get it just by being in the same county with the evil vines.  Of course, I finally learned "leaflets three--let it be," and would not touch it, even if it was covering the 38th maple syrup processing site on Fort Drum, festooning the hulk of a Dreyfuss Streamlined NYC Hudson J, or growing down into one of those 1840s "transitional" wells or privies.  In terms of archaeology safety, we are always told that "no archaeological site is worth your life."  In terms of poison ivy, how much terrific discomfort is a site worth?